Building Inspector - Mechanical
Company: Collier County Government
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Purpose of Classification
The purpose of this classification is to inspect the new
construction, remodeling projects, and existing structures
including properties for compliance with governing codes or
ordinances; approving completed work; citing and documenting
building code compliance violations; and advising builders and
property owners on code and permit requirements. This position
reports to the Building Plan Review & Inspection Division.
- Conduct inspections of building construction, erection, repair,
addition, or alteration projects that require permitting indicating
compliance with building Mechanical and other construction codes as
required by state law or county ordinance.
- Reviews approved construction plans on site while conducting
inspections for compliance with various codes and county ordinances
pertaining to building construction; reads and understands
blueprints and technical drawings.
- Verifies permit scope, subcontractor licensing, addressing and
site information for compliance with approved permit
- Enforces all applicable provisions of the standard building
structural codes as adopted and amended by local ordinances.
- Travels to construction site locations and performs field
inspections of new or existing buildings during various stages of
construction and remodeling to ensure compliance with applicable
building mechanical, building elements; examines grade, quality and
treatment of lumber, steel, roofing material, and related building
elements to secure compliance with applicable codes and ordinances.
Reviews quality of installation and workmanship of various
components and systems to ensure proper installation and
- Confers with architects, contractors, builders, property
owners, and the general public to explain and interpret code
provisions and local building regulations and requirements.
- Provides direction when deficiencies or violations are
discovered; issues citations for noncompliance with appropriate
codes; suspends construction as necessary.
- Performs field reviews of building plans and specifications for
compliance with the respective code.
- Conducts follow-up inspections as necessary to ensure
- Makes recommendations for issuance of certificates of
- Observes job site safety of projects on county property;
ensures proper hazard signage to limit danger of injury to
construction personnel, the public, the neighbors, site visitors,
and other inspectors.
- Prepares for, attends, and testifies in courtroom hearings and
judicial proceedings as required.
- Responds to questions, complaints and requests for
information/assistance from the general public, builders, property
owners, contractors, developers, engineers, architects,
tradespersons, project personnel, outside agencies, employees,
supervisors, or other individuals and/or divisions.
- Maintains current field and code manuals, policy and
procedures, employee handbooks, various maps, and related material
for reference and/or review.
- Attends meetings, seminars, workshops, and training sessions as
appropriate; maintains comprehensive, current knowledge and
awareness of applicable inspection techniques and methodology,
policies, procedures, codes, laws, regulations, and
- Prepares and/or receives a variety of forms, logs, requests,
records, reports, correspondence, and other documents associated
with daily responsibilities of this position; reviews, completes,
processes, approves, forwards, maintains, and/or takes other action
as appropriate; prepares and maintains files and records.
- Operates a personal computer, printer, calculator, copy and
facsimile machines, telephone, or other equipment as necessary to
complete essential functions, to include the use of word
processing, spreadsheet, database, or other system software.
High School Diploma or equivalent, with Vocational/Technical
studies with training emphasis in building code compliance and
construction project management. Can demonstrate five (5) years of
experience in the field of construction or a related field, general
engineering for building structures and building systems, examining
engineered building plans, building code inspection, corresponding
to the certification category sought or any equivalent combination
of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite
knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. Must possess and
maintain a valid Florida Driver's License with any applicable
endorsements and maintain eligibility requirements and
endorsement(s) to drive a County vehicle as provided in CMA 5805.
Must obtain and maintain state certifications as a Building
Inspector - Mechanical, for one- and two-family dwellings. May be
required to attain and maintain other certifications as related to
this position. Fingerprinting required.
Keywords: Collier County Government, Cape Coral , Building Inspector - Mechanical, Other , Naples, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!