Municipal Finance Director
Company: CLA (CliftonLarsonAllen)
Posted on: April 10, 2021
CLA Professional Search has been retained by The Village of Estero,
FL to identify a Finance Director to serve their community. The
Finance Director of the Village is responsible for planning,
organizing, staffing, directing, coordinating, reporting and
budgeting Village finances, including the administration of the
central accounting system, public funds and data processing
Does This Sound Like You?
Does your current role challenge to do your best work of your life
AND to leave lasting, transformational impact on others around you
every day? Do you feel a strong sense of togetherness with your
team and a commitment to a greater purpose?
If you are you a mission-driven, municipal finance professional who
believes you can leave a lasting impression on the world through
what you do every day, we'd like to talk to you!
About Our Client:
The name Estero is Spanish for estuary - where the river meets the
sea - and until the 1970's much of the settlement and development
in Estero was near the Estero River, then called Estero Creek.
In the early days, Estero was a major citrus producing area. The
first homesteader is reported to be Gustave Damkohler who in 1882
farmed citrus along the Estero River and then used the river to
ship his harvests north via the Gulf of Mexico. The Koreshans were
able to incorporate 110 square miles into the Town of Estero in
1904. The municipality stretched from a mile north of today's
Gladiolus Drive in south Fort Myers to a mile north of Bonita Beach
Road in Bonita Springs and included all of today's Lovers Key State
Park and the Town of Fort Myers Beach. The Town of Estero was later
abolished in 1907.
Fast forward to 2001-02---Estero had become the epicenter of
growth. This is when Don Eslick, Neal Noethlich and a number of
others decided to form the Estero Council of Community Leaders
(ECCL) to address residents' concerns and suggestions for how the
community should continue to grow. The ECCL, the Estero Community
Planning Panel and Estero Design Review Committee established the
architectural and landscaping guidelines which define Estero today.
The attractive buildings and landscaping encompassing Coconut Point
Mall, Lowes and Walmart are all prime examples of Estero's high
In July 2013, the ECCL, then chaired by Nick Batos, initiated
incorporation efforts. Thirty-three community meetings were
completed, Rep. Ray Rodrigues hosted two Town Hall meetings
attended by over 3,000 Estero residents, and 10,238 petitions were
signed by residents indicating their wish to have an incorporation
referendum on the ballot.On December 3, 2013, the Lee County
Legislative Delegation approved Rep. Ray Rodrigues' local bill for
an Estero incorporation referendum on the November 4, 2014,
ballot.A resounding 86 percent of the Estero residents voted for
incorporation which resulted in the 20 square mile community
officially becoming the Village of Estero on December 31, 2014. On
March 17, 2015, Batos was elected the Village's first mayor
What You'll Do:
- Plans, organizes, supervises and directs the work of
accounting, specialized work by employees involved in the timely
maintenance of the municipal general ledger, receipt and
disbursement of funds, budgetary control and various subsidiary
accounts for the various departments and funds of the Village.
- Maintains all official accounting records in conformance with
generally accepted government accounting principles.
- Develops and interprets fiscal policies, methods, and
procedures for the performance of various departmental functions;
establishes standards of performance against which individual
employee performance may be measured; monitors and checks the
maintenance of these standards.
- Designs, implements, monitors and maintains effective internal
- Works with outside financial advisor to obtain financing of
major capital projects. Provides direction on debt structures of
capital borrowing. Negotiates agreements with financial
institutions for services.
- Compiles annual budgets and submits them to the Village
Manager; provides information on annual budget requests as
required; prepares quarterly financial reports to Village Manager,
Department Heads and Council, prepares budget materials at the
Village Manager's direction for consideration by Village
- Prepares and submits annual budget for the Government Finance
Officers Association (GFOA) award of Distinguished Budget
- Prepares and directs the annual audit including issuance of
Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) and submits the CAFR
to the GFOA for a Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in
- Maintains an oversight of overall Village expenditures.
- Collects and disburses all Village funds in accordance with
established policies and procedures
- Provides short and long-term financial forecasts. Monitors the
Village's long-term financial plans to include a 5-year Capital
Improvement Budget with input by the Village Departments from the
direction given by the Village Manager and Village Council.
- Provides technical assistance to department directors and other
staff as needed for processes that involve or may influence a
- Acts as designated investment officer of the Village and is
responsible for investment decision activities, under the direction
of the Village Manager and reinvestment of excess and required
funds; plans for adequacy of cash on hand; responsible for cash and
- Manages procurement services and approval of goods and services
disbursement within budgetary appropriations.
- Makes recommendations to Village Manager as deemed appropriate
for the efficient, ethical and economically prudent operation of
- Completes public presentation of financial data to Village
Council, civic groups or others as required .
- Makes personnel decisions for the department, including hiring,
training, disciplining and termination; enforces and educates
employees in the Village's personnel and other policies.
The Finance Director will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance, Master's Degree
- Minimum of eight (8) years of progressive management experience
in financial administration with other governmental unit(s) within
the United States
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), and/or Certified Public
Finance Officer (CPFO), and/or Certified Government Finance Officer
- Demonstrate knowledge of the laws, policies and accounting
principles governing municipal finance
- Possess knowledge of municipal bonds, contracts and legally
available investment opportunities
- Demonstrate the ability of preparing complex financial
statements and reports including an annual budget and fiscal
year-end Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR)
- To make effective oral and written presentations of complex
- To direct and supervise the work of others, both employees and
Keywords: CLA (CliftonLarsonAllen), Cape Coral , Municipal Finance Director, Accounting, Auditing , Estero, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!